Staff and Volunteers
Did you know that Otakuthon is entirely organized by volunteers?
On one hand, staff refers to the volunteers who have specific training. They can contribute to the organization throughout the year!
On the other hand, volunteers help running the convention during the event itself. No specific experience is required.
Otakuthon is put together by hundreds of volunteers donating their time, and who are driven by their otaku passion!
Thanks to their work and dedication, everyone can have an enjoyable and epic weekend. If it weren't for them, Otakuthon wouldn't be possible.
Have some free time and want to help out? You can receive benefits and a partial or full reimbursement on your badge!
You will also have the opportunity to gain valuable skills and experience, work in a team environment, make friends and more!
Volunteers benefits table
|Volunteer 5H||Volunteer 10H||Volunteer 15H||Volunteer 20H||Super Volunteer||Staff|
|Minimum Hours||5 Hours||10 Hours||15 Hours||20 Hours||25 Hours||>25 Hours|
|Badge Reimbursement %||25||50||75||100||100||(Staff Badge)|
|Acknowledgment||Certificate||Certificate||Certificate||Certificate||Certificate||Credits in Program Book|
|Otakuthon FR/EN Tag||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Otakuthon 2019 Gift #1||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Otakuthon 2019 Gift #2||✓||✓||✓|
|Invitation to Exclusive
|Otakuthon 2019 Gift #3||✓|
|Otakuthon 2019 Gift #4||✓|
|Restaurant Food Voucher||✓||✓||✓|
|Staff Lounge Access||✓|
|Parking or Hotel
Open Staff Positions:
- Events - Backstage Manager
- Events - Frontstage Manager
- Events - Greenroom Manager
- Events - Concert tickets booth Staff
- Exhibition Hall - Artists' Area Manager
- Exhibition Hall - Artists' Area Staff
- Exhibition Hall - Dealers' Manager
- Exhibition Hall - Dealers' Area Staff
- Exhibition Hall - Industry Staff
- Logistics - Signage Staff
- Logistics - Technician Staff
- Logistics - Transportation Driver
- Marketing - Government Relations Assistant
- Marketing - Media Staff
- Guests - Japanese Guests Liaison
- Guests - Guests Liaison
- Guests - Guests Liaison and Driver
- Programming - Screenings Director
- Programming - Day Screenings Staff
- Programming - Night Screenings Support Staff
- Programming - Workshops Support Staff
- Programming - Yurithon Support Staff
- Registration - Registration Staff
- Services - Chibi Zone Staff
- Services - Manga Library Staff
- Services - Cosplay Repair Room Staff
- Services - Merchandise Table Staff
- Services - Cosplay Café Staff
Open Volunteer Positions:
|Badge Checkers||Responsible for checking attendees’ badge to make sure they are registered for the convention. (MANDATORY)|
|ID Checkers (volunteers to be 18 years and older)||Responsible for verifying proof of age (18+ mature content). Shifts are available Friday and Saturday after 8PM + overnight shifts (until 3AM).|
|Setup, Cleanup & Support Crew||Responsible for helping with setting up and cleaning up before and after the convention. This may involve moving things from area to area and other miscellaneous tasks.|
|Registration||Prepare handouts in advance, hand out program bag, and offer support to the registration staff.|
|Room Monitors||Responsible for monitoring the screening and video gaming rooms and reporting problems if they arise. Good observational skills are an asset.|
|Merchandise Table||Help with sales at the Otakuthon official merchandise table, as well as during setup and tear down, keep sales inventories, answer customers' questions.|
|Exhibition Hall||Keep a smooth flow, verify badges in the hall, and assist directors as needed.|
|Artists' Area||Monitor the Artists' Area and verify goods conform to the rules.|
|Garage Sale||Help during setup and tear down, keep an eye on the tables, answer customers' questions and assist the sales of items.|
|Information Desk||Provide basic information and directions for attendees. Must have good communication skills and be bilingual.|
Check out the Volunteers Policies.
Check out the Volunteers FAQ.
Volunteer application form