1. WHY SHOULD I VOLUNTEER FOR OTAKUTHON? WHAT DO I GET FROM VOLUNTEERING?
Volunteering is always a nice thing to do and is appreciated wherever you go. Every volunteer helps to make the convention more enjoyable for the attendees and less hectic for the staff.
- Gain practical working experience.
- Work as a team.
- Get to meet new people and make new friends.
- Help your wallet in the form of registration reimbursements and volunteer benefits (more information on our rewards here.
2. DO I HAVE TO PAY THE CONVENTION'S ENTRANCE FEE EVEN IF I'M A VOLUNTEER?
Yes. However, a reimbursement system is available for volunteers (view rewards).
3. WHAT CAN I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
We have many positions available. You can find more information on volunteer tasks here.
4. HOW DO I SIGN UP TO BE A VOLUNTEER?
To be part of the volunteer team:
- You must complete the volunteer application and waiver form and send them to email@example.com.
- You must be 15 years of age to volunteer (sorry, no exceptions).
- You must be pre-registered to volunteer.
5. I'M 14 YEARS OLD BUT TURNING 15 RIGHT AFTER OTAKUTHON, MAY I STILL VOLUNTEER?
No. All volunteers must be 15 years of age or older (no exceptions). If you're turning 15 just before the convention starts, please provide us with an identification card with your birth date (e.g. health insurance card, student opus card).
6. I HEARD THERE ARE LIMITED SPACES FOR EACH VOLUNTEER POSITION; HOW DO I MAKE SURE I GET THE ONE I WANT?
The best way is to apply as early as you can and to attend the volunteer orientation session. In the application form, we will ask you to give out your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice of position so that if ever you don't get your first choice, you would get your second, and so on.
7. HOW MANY HOURS DO YOU EXPECT ME TO WORK DURING THE CONVENTION?
You may volunteer for 4, 8, 12, 16, 20 or 24+ hours. Please refer to the volunteers' benefits program for more details on the advantages of volunteering for more hours.
8. DO OUR AVAILABILITIES IN THE APPLICATION FORM ACT AS OUR SHIFTS?
No. Your shifts and schedule will be given to you after the attended orientation session.
9. DO I HAVE TO PRE-REGISTER IN ORDER TO VOLUNTEER?
Starting this year, pre-registration is mandatory to become a volunteer. It is important that you provide your 5-digit pre-registration badge number on your application form (e.g. 23934).
10. MY PERSONAL INFORMATION IS PRIVATE AND I DO NOT WISH TO SHARE THEM WITH OTAKUTHON, IS THAT OKAY?
The application form will be treated as an incomplete application and may be rejected. The information you provide will not be disclosed to the public and will be used only internally (ie: in the event of an emergency).
11. WHAT BENEFITS DO I GET FOR VOLUNTEERING DURING THE NIGHT SHIFT? WHAT DOES IT MEAN BY 'VOLUNTEERING HOURS FROM 12AM TO 8AM WILL BE COUNTED 1.5 TIMES'?
For each hour volunteered during the night shifts (12am to 8am) , it will be counted as 1.5 volunteer hours (e.g. if you volunteer for 4 hours between 12am to 8am, we will count as if you have volunteered for 6 hours).
NOTE: You must be 18 years or older to volunteer during the night shift.
12. I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A REPLY FROM OTAKUTHON SINCE MY APPLICATION/EMAIL.
Please allow up to two weeks to process your request and reply. After that, you may follow up with your request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
13. I GOT ACCEPTED AS A VOLUNTEER, BUT IT SAYS I SHOULD BE PRESENT AT THE VOLUNTEER ORIENTATION SESSION. DO I NEED TO ATTEND?
Yes. All volunteers (both returning and new recruits) must attend at least one volunteer orientation session to get up-to-date with the latest protocols, procedures and receive their schedules. Should you miss the orientation session, please send us an e-mail to email@example.com with your justification.
14. DO I GET ANY BREAKS ON MY SHIFTS?
Otakuthon appreciates and acknowledges the volunteers and we make sure to treat them and guide them very well. Rest assured, you will get breaks during your shifts. More details will be given at the volunteers' training session.
15. MAY I COSPLAY WHILE I VOLUNTEER? CAN I STOP AND POSE FOR A PHOTO IF SOMEONE ASKS WHILE I'M VOLUNTEERING?
Feel free to cosplay when you're volunteering; however, please refrain from posing too long for pictures. When volunteering, your priority is to carry out your assigned tasks and help the convention run smoothly. Be sure that your cosplay does not obstruct the path (too large or bulky) or hinder your ability to complete your tasks.
16. MAY I TAKE PICTURES WHILE I VOLUNTEER?
It is not recommended to carry cameras or other valuables while you're carrying out your tasks as you might lose them. Taking pictures of the events is okay when you're not in the middle of doing work.
17. HOW DO I GET REIMBURSED AS A VOLUNTEER? WHAT IF I CAN'T PICK UP MY REIMBURSEMENT IN PERSON?
Reimbursements will take place during the convention (time and location will be announced during the volunteer orientation sessions). If you are not able to pick up your reimbursement, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible as unclaimed reimbursements will not be carried over into future years.
18. WHO SHOULD I SEEK FOR IF I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS?
Do not hesitate to ask any questions relevant to volunteering for Otakuthon by e-mail to email@example.com.