Otaku Skit Show
It's now time to let your hidden Otaku talent shine! The Friday Night Otaku Skit Show welcomes those who will rise to the challenge and put on their best skit for everyone to see. Not to be confused with the Saturday Night Masquerade, the Otaku Skit Show is for those who love to perform on stage (lip-syncing, dancing, interpretation, comedy, etc.) whist in costume. More time is allocated on stage this year with up to four (4) minutes per act. So come out and cheer for your favorite performance!
Otaku Skit Show Rules and Information
The Otaku Skit Show is similar to the Masquerade but it is important to note the difference. While the Masquerade is more concerned with the creation of costumes, the Otaku Skit Show is for those who love to perform on stage (lip-syncing, dancing, interpretation, comedy, etc.), which consequently means more time is allocated on stage.
Different prizes will be awarded for each division and there will be a Best in Show award for best overall performance. There will also be random prizes given for groups who have their own unique skit. However the judges hold the right to not award any group(s) in a certain division if they are not satisfied with their skit.
Up to fifteen (15) groups composed of up to no more than eight (8) people will be accepted. All performing groups will have a time limit of 4 minutes. These spaces will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis!
The Otaku Skit Show will be held on Friday August 16, 2013 from 8:00 pm to 9:30 pm. After you register your group performance by sending us an email with the information requested (see below for the information needed), you will be then asked to bring the completed registration form to the Otaku Skit Show registration desk on Friday August 16 , 2013 between 11:00 am to 4:00 pm. Contestants must be in the Green Room between 5:30 pm and 6:00 pm. Any late arrivals will lead to immediate disqualification.
- Download the registration sheet (.pdf), print it and complete it before the convention. When you arrive at the registration desk you will be asked for this form.
- All participant names MUST be registered on the sheet.
- ALL PARTICIPANTS must sign the registration sheet and read the rules.
- The real names of the participants must be used.
- The registration deadline is Sunday July 28, 2013 by 11:59 pm.
- Participants who register will receive an email confirmation with a registration number.
- The registration form must be received at the Otaku Skit Show registration desk on Friday August 16, 2013 from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm. Any registration forms received after that time will be disqualified.
- All participants must be present in the Green Room on Friday evening between 5:30 pm and 6:00 pm.
*NOTE : All hours are approximate and subject to change. The final schedule will be confirmed when all Otaku Skit Show participants have registered.
To participate, the group leader should submit their entry to email@example.com with the Subject: 'OTAKU SKIT SHOW ENTRY" . Please include the following information:
- The name of the act
- The category you will enter (ex: novice)
- Ages of the participants
- Names of all the participants
- Time length
- Costume source:
- Special requirements: (ex: you'll need stage ninjas, or need accessories on stage). Please let us know in advance to see if it is possible.
Once submitted, an email confirmation will be sent to inform you of the status of your entry. It might take up to 3 to 5 days to get an answer. You will get a registration number with your confirmation email, please bring that number with you to the registration desk.
Participants have to register for this event before the convention. If there are any cancellations before the deadline, an announcement will be made on the Otakuthon website and on the forums until August 2, 2013.
- Email your registrations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All registrations must be received before SUNDAY JULY 28, 2013 by 11:59 pm
- All registration forms must be signed by ALL members of your group.
- The printed and completed registration form must be submitted to the Otaku Skit Show's registration desk on Friday August 16, 2013 before 4:00 pm.
Please read the competition rules. By signing the registration form, you certify that you have read and agree to comply with all Otaku Skit Show rules. Participants who have not completed and signed the form will not be allowed on stage.
- Each group may have a maximum of 8 participants.
- Each skit performed by your team must come from or be related to anything Japanese, such as: anime, manga, video games, etc.
- All performances should be rated PG (13+). There should be no excessive profanity or adult subject matters in the performances.
- There are no limits on song choices. Songs in Japanese (from anime, J-Pop, video games, etc), Korean, Chinese, and even English are allowed.
- ALL ENTRIES HAVE A TIME LIMIT OF FOUR MINUTES.
ANY ENTRY THAT EXCEEDS THEIR TIME LIMIT WILL BE DISQUALIFIED AND WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE TO WIN AN AWARD.
- Each team must bring a CD or USB key, with the song to be played as the only track on that CD or USB key. It is highly recommended that you bring a back up CD or USB key in case your audio cannot be read or played on our audio equipment.
- Each skit needs to have a pre-recorded audio track. Microphones will not be given to the contestants to speak in front of the audience. It is highly discouraged to speak or sing with your voice on stage since people in the audience won't be able to hear you properly.
- Only one entry per group. Multiple entries will not be accepted.
- ONLY 15 groups will be accepted.
- There won't be any registration on site. Every entry has to be registered before the convention by the deadline.
- Since this is a stage performance show, we do not require all the cosplay entries to have hand-made costumes. Your cosplays can be store bought. You will not be judged for craftsmanship or workmanship (that is what the Saturday night Masquerade is for)!
The Standard Division System
The Standard Division System, in accordance with the International Costumers' Guild Guidelines, will be used as follows:
(Also known as the Young Fan Division)
Any contestant less than 13 years of age at the time of this competition may compete in the Junior Division.
A contestant who has not won a major award at a Masquerade other than as a Junior costumer.
A contestant who has won fewer than three awards at Masquerades while competing in the Journeyman Division.
Any costumer who has won three or more awards; or who wishes to enter this division, provided that they do not belong in a higher division in use in the competition.
A contestant who has won more than three times in the Artisan Division, or has won a Master award at a nationally recognized regional anime convention. Also, anyone who is a professional in a costume-related business must compete as a Master. For the purpose of this competition, a professional is defined as making 50% or more of their income in the costuming-related business.
The Otaku Skit Show is an amateur competition. Purchased or rented costumes may not be entered in competition for awards, but may be presented on stage in the Out-Of-Competition Division. Costumes made for business purposes, theatrical and professional events are not eligible for awards but may also be presented in this division. In addition, anyone who wants to show their costume in this division may do so.
Note : A contestant may compete in a division higher than the one they are eligible to enter. Keep in mind that if the contestant wins in this higher division, they must compete in that division in future competitions. If a group has entered at a lower division than what they should be, they will be placed in their appropriate division out of fairness.
Documentation can include any pictorial representation of your costume. Provide copies only; do not bring originals. It is strongly recommended that you provide documentation for re-creation costume entries if you feel the judges may not be familiar with a particular anime/manga.
Introductions, Music, and Sound
If you have a special introduction that you would like the master of ceremonies (MC) to read, please write it legibly on your registration form or bring a printed copy so that it can be easily read. Without an introduction, the MC will only state the number, title, and division for your entry. After your entry is done, general information will be announced.
THERE WILL BE NO MICROPHONES given to the participants. Addressing the audience directly is STRONGLY discouraged, since the majority will not hear anything and it might distract you from your presentation. If you have a narration or dialogue, you will want to record it on CD or USB key.
If you have an introduction, music, or sound effects, please put them onto a CD. Do not forget to write your name, entry title, and track number on the CD. ONLY the audio track of your act should be on your CD or USB.
If the audio is much longer than your presentation (ex: a song, a CD commercial, etc.) or must be cut on a certain cue, please be VERY specific about the instant where it should be cut.
All groups need to bring their CD or USB key to the staff at the Otaku Skit Show registration desk table before 4:00 pm on Friday August 16th, 2013.
The CDs and USBs used during the Otaku Skit Show will be given back at the registration table on Saturday. Please remember to pick them up!
Entries which include children may request to be placed first in their category, but must be requested during registration. If there are any other circumstances which can affect stage order (such as needing to catch the bus to go home), please indicate this on your registration when you send it by email. We will do our best to accommodate your request, however we can't guarantee your position.
- Use of open flame, fire, flash powder or flash paper is not allowed. Sealed electronic flashes are permitted. If you are using a strobe effect, please note it on your form so the MC may warn the audience. No laser pointers allowed.
- No messy substances on stage. If in doubt, ask the show organizers during registration. The stage must be in as good a condition when you leave as when you entered. If you are leaving something on stage, it must be easily retrievable by the stage crew, or you will be expected to bring your own ninja for that purpose.
- No flagrant nudity. The Otaku Skit Show is rated as "13 years and up" and may be viewed by persons 13 years of age or over. Depending on the situation, the use of curse words may be acceptable, however vulgar and degrading language is not permitted. Any presentation that doesn't follow these guidelines will be disqualified on the spot and may be subjected to being cut from the show. (Régie du cinéma du Québec: http://www.rcq.gouv.qc.ca/en/process.asp#c13)
- No real firearms, no realistic copies, and no projectile weapons are allowed. No metal blades are allowed, regardless if they are dull or live. If your costume requires a bow, it must be unstrung when you are not on stage. All weapons must follow the Convention's Weapons Policy. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.
- Each person may participate in only ONE entry during the show.
- Contestants must report to the Green Room on time. Report times will be supplied at the convention at the Otaku Skit Show registration desk. Failure to appear or to be ready to go on stage may result in disqualification. Note that Acts of God may, to an extent, mitigate this.
- The Otaku Skit Show organizers reserve the right to remove anyone from competition based on taste, danger to the audience or other contestants, or for any other reason deemed sufficient.
- The decisions of the judges are final. Other than categories, types of awards will be determined at the discretion of the judges and the show organizers.
For all questions, please contact the Otaku Skit Show director at: email@example.com.
Hope to see you there!