Otakuthon Garage Sale Rules & FAQ
The Garage Sale is a table manned by Otakuthon staff where we sell your stuff. We charge 10% (minimum of $0.50 per item) if the item is sold. If the item doesn't sell - you get it back when you check-out and we charge nothing.
Garage Sale Hours:
|Friday, July 31, 2009||3:00pm - 4:30pm||X||At Registration area (merchandise dropoff only)
|5:30pm - 9:00pm||X||Garage Sale table in Exhibition Hall|
|Saturday, August 1, 2009||10:00am - 9:00pm||X||Garage Sale table in Exhibition Hall|
|Sunday, August 2, 2009||10:00am - 12:00pm||X||Garage Sale table in Exhibition Hall|
|12:00pm - 5:00pm||Garage Sale table in Exhibition Hall|
What do I need to do?
- Register for the convention. Your badge number is used to track the items you have for sale.
- If you have more than 25 items - please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would like to know how many large lots to expect so we have enough staff to deal with them.
- Fill out the Garage Sale form (click here to download) and read the terms of service (click here to download):
- Write your badge number and your name on every sheet.
- Assign a number to each item/package/thing you are selling. Start at 1 and count up. Please do NOT skip numbers. Please try to keep like/similar items together when numbering (ie: all mangas together, all figurines together, all DVDs together, etc.). If you want to sell items as a set, put them together in a clear bag.
- Write that number down on the sheet and provide a name and a general description. This helps us quickly find the item when we're doing the paperwork. The description should be short and concise, keeping in mind that it needs to be enough to distinguish it from other items; ie: titles, types of object (ie: book, DVD, manga, figurine, toy, etc.), color, size, etc.
- Set a price for each item. Remember that we keep 10% of whatever is sold. Since the minimum charge is $0.50, if you set a price of $4.99, $1.00, or $0.10, we will be taking $0.50.
- On the day of the convention, bring your goods and sheets to the Garage Sale Check-In in the Exhibition Hall.
- Present your sheets to us. We'll go through the inventory you want to sell and confirm it's all there. We also put a sticky note on it -- the note will have the price, and the number from the Garage Sale form.
- Go enjoy the convention. We'll handle it from here.
- Remember to return before 4pm on Sunday to collect the items that have not sold and your money. Items and/or funds not collected before the closing of the Exhibition Hall on the last day of the convention will be considered a donation to Otakuthon.
What is allowed to be sold at the table?
You can sell any items you want, so long as it is clean and legal.
However, please note:
- Bootleg, pirate copies or knockoffs are not permitted. If someone complains to us that your item is a pirate we will take it off the table until it can be verified.
- Food may not be sold.
- Pornographic material will not be sold at the table.
- Blades without sheaths (cardboard sheaths are OK) and weapons that cannot be peace-bonded will not be sold.
- DVDs and VHS tapes must have their Régie du cinéma rating stickers. If they do not have the sticker, they will not be sold.
- The Garage Sale staff reserve the right to refuse any item for any reason.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why do you charge?
a) we don't want to handle many small, cheap items since they are difficult to track and can get lost easily. If you have a lot of small items that you want to sell, you may want to consider selling them as a set (which would be treated as one item).
b) the Garage Sale itself needs to cover its own costs (including the space it occupies in the Exhibition Hall). Whatever is left over goes towards the next Otakuthon. :)
2. Can I check in after Friday?
Yes. We accept items up until noon on Sunday, though we might ask you to wait if we're busy selling items.
3. Can I check-out before 4pm on Sunday?
Yes. You can check out all of your items any time you want, though we might ask you to wait if we're busy selling items.
4. Can I get my money before I check-out my items?
No. To keep the book keeping simple, we ask that you check everything out all at once. Only after you check out your items can we give you your money.
5. Can I put on my own price labels?
Sure. Please include your badge number and the number of the item (as written on your Garage Sale form) on the price label for each and every item.
Reminder: Buyers prefer stickers that come off easily and don't leave marks (this is why we use sticky notes).
6. Can I have you barter or set a price range instead of setting a price?
If we're handling your items, we will not barter or negotiate a price. The price should be fixed.
You can, however, change the price on an item up to a maximum of once a day. We might ask you to wait if we're busy selling items, though.
Post it to the forums or contact us by email email@example.com.